Sunday, September 12, 2010

reciprocity.

Father, so many thoughts about this day,
this life,
this time,
this Word.
Reciprocity, theme of year.
You, him, faith, love.
Reciprocity conquers sin.
Reciprocity breathes life.
My heart is full,
Words are painfully inadequate.
Breaking through the noise some days,
Crashing through the silence others,
Your still, small voice,
Your strong, sure voice,
"I love you. That is all."
As all slip through my fingers,
self-righteousness,
pride,
fear,
got-my-act-togetherness,
Your sweet words envelope me.
"I love you. That is all."
Not a guilt trip, not a scolding.
Gentle reminders of what You promise.
Unending,
unshakable,
undeserved,
unfathomable,
uninhibited.
Love.
All at once both strikingly free and immeasurably costly.
The wrath I earned was exchanged.
Before I knew,
before I could ask,
before I realized,
before I lived.
Love.
And now in my heart.
Indwelling Love.
Powerful, conquering, sin-squelching.
And when I try to fight,
when pride twists my thoughts, my motives, my mind,
when I want to look most holy.
Love.
Humility immediately follows.
So lead me.
Destroy me.
Recreate me.
For Your glory.
Because Your love, it overwhelms, it drowns.
To be plunged into Your ocean of grace,
response is only one of gratitude, praise,
dependence,
trust,
simply to the cross I cling.
Love.
All my life, embodiment of reciprocity.
Love. Boldness. Discipline.
Love.

No comments: