Saturday, August 20, 2011

let's go get a snack



Picture it.

We're at the park. It's time to go home. We've swung on the swings. We've slid down the slide. We've toted sticks around. We've watched the other kids.

The flurry of activity is fascinating and enthralling to Juliet's eager brown eyes.

In the midst of this commotion, "Let's go home," does not register. No response. Flat line. 

However, "Want to go get a snack?" works every time.

Her head pops up, her whole body reacts, and she gives an enthusiastic "sssssnA--!" (Still working on the -CK sound, which means I obviously remain nameless.)

I lead the way and she begins to follow me. Fantastic.

But then another kid runs in front of her and across the playground, fully unaware that he has taken her attention span hostage in that journey. "C'mon, JuJu, let's go." I try to get her back on track. I offer her my hand, I walk on ahead of her, but she's lost.

"C'mon, this way. Let's go get our snack."

Back on track. Full speed ahead.

Until she sees the big kid swings. Repeat.

"...snack."

Headed to the car.

A captivating piece of trash or a particularly pretty stick.

"Our snack..."

Finally we make it back to the car, turn on the AC, and enjoy some raisins and juice.

Funny how 50 yards is such a trek for 15-month-old legs. It takes a while to toddle halfway across a football field, too long for a 15-month-old mind to focus on completing such a task.

Fascinating how the goal must be called to memory frequently if we are ever going to make it across the playground to the car. It is quite an effective method.

I am grateful that the Lord has the same smiling compassion on my lapse of memory that I have on Juliet. So many things to take my tiny mind off the goal. But I pray I will always be quick to respond to just one word from Christ in shepherding me back in the right direction.

Grateful for a husband, for parents, for leaders and for friends who are quick to speak that word as well.

Hope.

Eternity.

Love.

Joy.

Grace.

Gratitude.


No comments: