Friday, January 13, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Awake

It's Five Minute Friday! Today's prompt: awake.

GO.

Just a little while ago I woke up from a nap. Praise the Lord for naps! Incredible how useless wakefulness is when rest is left to the wind.

(Fun to watch Ju-Be waking up almost daily--courtesy to her for the pic!)

I truly believe that one of the hardest lessons the Lord is trying to teach me in this season is to rest. After four whirlwind years of college, followed by nearly two years of life with at least four other friends at a time, resting has been a difficult discipline to master...or even attempt at times. 

Especially now with so much alone time, it is easy to feel that I am resting when I am actually only lonely. Solitude and rest are two very different things, though I would submit that solitude is often an integral part of rest for me.

The point being: if I am going to live a life that is fully awake, I must make room for the Lord to rejuvenate me and provide me with all the energy that wakeful living requires. My heart longs to be awakened to gratitude, to grasping each day for what it is, a gift. Awake to opportunities that require hard decisions and all the blood, sweat and tears my little heart can give.

I want to live in wakefulness, not in bleary-eyed grogginess for these precious days. Lord, teach me to nap, not only physically, but spiritually, mentally, emotionally as well. For the sake of all these other people on the planet that you love so much, let me live a life fully AWAKE!

Wipe the sleepy from my heart
Eyes to love the days' new start
Joy for walking life's great length
Peace for resting in Your strength

STOP.

Or, in the words of my dear friend, Sally: "Awokened!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm learning that I need rest to be able to serve. I have to stop and renew my spirit! Praying for a restful weekend for you.

Sarah K. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Beautiful post and a beautiful prayer! Love the direction you took this prompt.