Tuesday, April 10, 2012

halvesies

They say that silence is golden, and mine truly has been so far as blogging is concerned. 

For safety purposes I couldn't really share anything about when Stephen was coming home on R&R leave, and my preparations for his arrival were so extensive and consuming I had nothing else to report. However, he has, since my last post, come and gone, and we had a wonderful 10 days together last month.

Over the course of those 10 days we saw our families at a sweet Atlanta brunch, met the babies of our closest friends, watched movies, got coffee, sat on the banks of the Chattahoochee, spent some time in Blue Ridge, hiked, at Chick-fil-A for every other meal, and rested. It was a much needed time of refreshing and reflecting as we also celebrated our first anniversary on March 26th in the mountains. As hard as it was to say goodbye again, Stephen and I could not have asked for a sweeter, more life-giving time together. 

Anniversary Dinner in Blue Ridge

His visit also marked the approximate halfway point of his deployment. I can almost guarantee that his homecoming will not go as we currently expect, but we are, more or less, halfway through the year! Praise Jesus!

And as Jesus would have it, it seems that this chapter of deployment will be quite different from the first in several ways.

The first of two big ones: my friend Cat's husband returned on Sunday for good!!! I cannot tell you how excited I am for them! He left April 8, 2011 and returned April 8, 2012--one year to the day. I am so glad to know they are together again, and I look forward to getting to know Leigh in the next few months as well.

But I probably don't have to tell you that that will change my relationship with Cat quite a bit. I will miss our single-wifing craft nights and movie nights, but I am extremely eager for the new chapter of our friendship as well--the one where I get to see her with her other half! She has been such a source of encouragement, company, sympathy and fun over the last six months. Who knew this deployment would make me a new best friend at the park?? So grateful for her!


My first time dying Easter eggs the day before Leigh came home.

In the wake of this transition, of sending her back into daily married life, my housing situation has also turned to a new chapter.

In the same week I found out that Lauren Jones accepted a job offer in Charlotte while Lauren Baggett was applying for a summer internship in Atlanta. Gentle grace for me here. 

Saying "goodbye" again was one of the hardest things I have done in a long time, but the aftermath has been the same for each of us: deep gratitude and abiding joy. Thank you so much to everyone who prayed for our time together. Jesus answered so faithfully by drawing us to Himself in order to draw us closer to each other. It could not have been more wonderful.

Surprisingly bright-eyed and bushy-tailed as I look into the next 6 months. I just pray they'll make Jesus famous.

No comments: