Saturday, December 5, 2009

Advent

Confession: Christmas was never my favorite holiday. The commercialization fueled my celebratory paralysis. The wonder of Jesus' birth was almost completely lost on my self-righteous refusal to get too excited about a holiday that most people associated with a bearded man in a red suit. Praise the Lord because He did not leave me there!

Now I'm the one who leaves Christmas music on my playlists all year long and chooses to listen as soon as Halloween ends. If my budget would allow I would buy every advent book and calendar I see.

I try to wrap my mind around it almost every day, but it just never fully happens. God became a man. A baby.

He left the comfort of His throne to lay in hay. I'm allergic to hay. I can imagine how miserable that would have been. He left the blessed intimacy of the Father and the Holy Spirit to be kissed by sinners; kisses of adoration, kisses of betrayal.

He was born to die. He came to suffer and to die. He did many other things in His 33 human years, but if not for death, all else was emptiness.

He was born to rise. All the power of God resided in Bethlehem's neglected treasure. If not for His resurrection, all else was deception.

He was born to fulfill. The Law. The Promise. The people of Israel had waited expectantly for thousands of years, hoping in the coming Messiah. He was righteous, perfection.

He was born to return. One of my favorite Christmas songs, and so fitting for Advent, says,
"Hear the angels as they're singing on the morning of His birth,
But how much greater will our song be when He comes again to earth!"
Come quickly, Lord Jesus!

He was born to be our hope. There is no one greater. No experience more fulfilling than His presence.

He was born to be personal. God had identified Himself to Moses thousands of years earlier: Yahweh, the Lord, I AM. His personal, intimate name. The name that communicates His constant nearness, His intervention in history on behalf of His people. But the name of Jesus is even more personal, our necessity: "Yahweh is salvation." Jesus is the pinnacle of God's deliverance, freedom, promise and power. The very most intimate, intentional expression of love that could ever be communicated.

He was born to send the Holy Spirit. He promised to send the Helper. And now we know intimacy with God; dwelling with Him forever starts at salvation.

So how can I keep from celebrating? There is far too much to celebrate in one short day named "Christmas." Why do I only sing in exultation over Immanuel for one month of the year? I want the joy that the angels announced to characterize my every waking moment. Oh that my heart would prepare room for Him in every day of the year!

And can we talk about Christmas songs for just a minute:

"Come Thou long expected Jesus...
Born Thy people to deliver...
Born to reign in us forever...
By Thine own eternal Spirit
Rule in all our hearts alone
By Thine own sufficient merit (my merit is otherwise hopelessly lacking)
Raise us to Thy glorious throne."

"Long lay the world
In sin and error pining,
Til He appeared
And the soul felt its worth. (God declared that my soul was worth the discomfort of His incarnation)
A thrill of hope,
The weary world rejoices
For yonder breaks
A new and glorious morn'. (mercies new every morning)
Fall on your knees...."

"No more let sins and sorrows grow
Nor thorns infest the ground
He comes to make His blessings flow
Far as the curse is found." (His healing will go forth as far as man's depravity may be found, and that is such a desperate distance)

Joy, unspeakable joy!

No comments: