Wednesday, October 6, 2010

my heart belongs to the Holiday Inn Express


I recently booked a night at the Holiday Inn Express for an event a few months from now.

We spent one night at the HI Express on our way to family vacation this summer. The stay was pleasant. So when I looked for a place to stay for an upcoming event, I checked out the options. Upon finding a discount and availability, I reserved a room for myself and a few other guests at the HI Express near our event.

Last weekend I drove from Atlanta to Winston-Salem to visit a friend. All along the way I looked for the Holiday Inn Express. Every such establishment I passed looked wonderful. I was ecstatic and rejoiced at every encounter.

Part of my interest was that I have never actually seen the hotel where I will be staying in a few months. I was hoping the general consensus along I-85N would indicate that the HI Express is a promising reservation in any location. My expectations were exceeded.

But on my drive home as I continued to spot and celebrate every Holiday Inn Express, I wondered why, with so much enthusiasm, I scoped out every “Lodging” sign along the interstate hoping to find a Holiday Inn to be proud of. Why was I suddenly so interested in each of these hotels that I will likely never stay in?

And then it hit me.

Because my money has been given to this establishment.

Wow.

All of a sudden what would never have earned a second glance became the landmark of my fancy, and all because $100 left my bank account to reserve a room.

One transaction.

One night.

One minor detail in a weekend that will have much more eternal consequences than two queen beds and a free breakfast.

That was all it took.

If anyone had been reading my thoughts on my road trip, they would have thought I had bought thousands of dollars in stock. No. Just one night’s stay.

And I am floored by the Truth of Jesus.

“For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”

Truth bomb.

I am not legitimately obsessed with the Holiday Inn Express. But I praise God for such a vivid reminder that my heart undeniably follows my money. I pray His Kingdom will always be the primary beneficiary of the income the Lord allows me to steward.

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”

Matthew 6:19-21

No comments: