Saturday, October 23, 2010

Introducing: Juliet




For the last two and a half months I have had the privilege of spending 45 hours of my week with the sweetest baby I have ever known. Her name is Juliet Rose and we have become fast friends.




As Juliet has only recently completed her 5th month of life, learning from loving, caring for and playing with her has only just begun, but I feel confident that the next few months of development will show a dramatic increase in life applications from our daily interactions.

The first realization I had came in the first few days. Though I am not nearly her mother, caring for her has shed new light on a Biblical truth that I have known for years.

In Isaiah 49:15 God says, "Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you."

Until August, I had only seen one aspect of this statement: the Lord is faithful to His people. Truth.

But as I fed Juliet on one of our first days together, I realized how much she NEEDS to be remembered. It is not just compassion from the heart of the caregiver that is astounding, but her survival is utterly dependent on the attentiveness of someone else.

She cannot eat if I do not remember to feed her.

She cannot be clean if I do not remember to change her diaper.

She cannot move or enjoy her world if I do not position her appropriately.

She cannot live.

Period.

Without the intervention of someone altogether more mature and capable, her existence would fail.

Horribly. Tragically. Rapidly.

Now she certainly would not exist at all if not for the actions of other individuals, but the life application is in her daily needs as a reflection of mine.

The only action step that Juliet may take toward having her needs met is to express her recognition of them. She can cry when she is hungry, wet or bored. After that, she is at the mercy of whoever hears her cry.

Juliet is capable only of expressing need. She does absolutely nothing else to enable me to provide for her. She does not mix her formula or make sure the bottles are clean. She does not restock the wipes or even leave her legs still to be changed. She does not turn her attention to a different interest that is also plainly in front of her.

Please do not misunderstand. These are by no means complaints about our relationship. They are merely observations, the realities of her current existence. And it is my joy to love on her by serving her in these ways.

But just as the baby is helpless apart from his mother's memory, I am hopeless apart from the Lord's. All my own efforts amount to screaming and writhing when what I need is to be washed, to be fed, to be loved. I must recognize and express my need for redemption, but I am utterly helpless in achieving it.

I cannot live rightly.

I cannot pay the penalty of my sins.

I cannot sacrifice an acceptable offering.

I cannot inherit the Spirit of God.

I cannot restore myself to the image of Christ.

I cannot live.

Period.

The Lord initiates my salvation from start to finish. He has given me no responsibilities. I am not capable of bearing a single one. He remembers me, and I live.

My mind reels as the implications multiply. How rich is the Word of God.

And as I consider the needs I meet that Juliet does not realize, I am humbled still. She knows she is hungry, but what does she know of bottled water and formula? She knows she is dirty, but what does she know of Pampers and wipes? She knows she is uncomfortable, but what does she know of laundry and pillows?

What would I know of Love?

What would I know of Joy?

What would I know of Peace?

God of Love.
Joyful King.
Prince of Peace.
Remembers me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh my goodness, kate. this is probably one of my favorite posts of yours ever. how true that He loves us so much more than we can even fathom. i so feel like a small, incapable baby in His hands, but it is so good to be reminded that he is tenderly loving and caring for me. thanks for pointing us to Jesus. God has truly truly blessed you with His wisdom and words to clearly express these things - praise Him!