Saturday, November 13, 2010

empty bottles


Juliet frequently slurps every last drop from her bottles. I don't blame her. I'm a hungry girl too.

The other day she hurriedly got to the end of the formula but continued to suck at the air with steady ferocity. She enjoyed the motion, the sensation, the habit that is designed to procure nourishment even though the benefit had been exhausted.

On and on she went. I finally pulled the bottle out of her mouth so we could move on to burping, the only next step in a fully healthy meal.

I know I often do the same thing. I appreciate the motions so much that I hardly notice when Jesus is no longer the reward. Not that Jesus is ever in short supply; He is not. But at times I come to value the routines that lead to Jesus so much that I vigorously pursue them rather than Him.

I want to do whatever it takes to get to Him. Whatever music positions my heart to know Him. Whatever books illuminate the state of His heart and mine. Whatever relationships fuel my hunger for Truth. Whatever service softens my soul to know Him more.

I don't want to be caught up in the motions. I want the true Reward, the Richest of fare, the Bread of Life.

No comments: