Tuesday, June 5, 2012

musings on marriage and the state of things

"I'm definitely learning a lot about what marriage is not..."

If you've caught up with me in person over the last few weeks, chances are you've heard me finish this sentence any number of ways. And really, I've written about it several times here too. It's been on my mind for a variety of reasons. I stand nose-to-nose with these realities every day. Being married to Stephen Kump still surprises me, especially on the days we don't "feel" married. And so many friends and girls I know have set their sights on marriage, unintentionally demanding that the prospect reach the crevices of their souls with contentment, that life will suddenly spark for real with that one word: Yes!

My heart is moved passionately by each of these things to express over and again how God's plan for marriage is not that it cater to the whims of the female heart--namely mine. But in that train of thought Jesus redirected my focus last night.

What is marriage about, Kate? What am I doing in and through your marriage today? Right now? Because of all this?

Gratitude and refreshment instantly rush in. 

So much for which to give thanks.

A glimpse of our marriage?

Well, we have just passed our second week without talking, but emails seem sweeter and sweeter. 

Five lines of "I love you" and "I miss you" reach much farther now than they did this time last month.

Lots of prayer. What else can you do if you cannot talk?

And what could be more meaningful, really?

Two people, loving each other as best we can. Only enabled by loving Jesus as best we can.

Eyes on the cross, our comfort. The tomb, its empty echo of great hope.

Knowing that as we each seek Christ, if we could not speak one word this year, our proximity to Jesus will make up for all that would be otherwise lost. 

I'm leading two small groups for girls this summer. Wasn't aiming for two, but that's what Jesus arranged. Wasn't aiming for anything at all until Stephen encouraged, exhorted, affirmed.

Excitement builds toward the fall. Days turn into weeks turn into months of progress toward homecoming.

We try to plan our celebrations.

Look forward to family weddings and family babies.

Georgia Tech football finds its way to our calendar...two months ago.

Daydream about where we'll live come November. Hopefully in Smyrna. Definitely not where we are now.

Stephen's ministry to my heart draws me out of legalism, into the freedom of loving Jesus because He set me free, not because together He and I can keep the rules. 

I'm learning not to judge people so harshly. 

Like couples publicly displaying their affection. Or holding hands while singing at church. 

You just never know where people are, where they've been. My natural bent is to think I do know. I do not.

I pinterest my way to wifeyness. Homemade cleaning solutions and crafts galore. Recipes to try and party ideas for his return.

This season will come to an end. But there are sweet things here. Jesus fills. 

Grateful He points Himself out to my ever wandering attention span.

No comments: