Friday, March 26, 2010

fatal attraction

20/20 may have aired one of the most outrageous reports I have ever heard tonight. Former actor, Steve Sipek, is well-known for two reasons: his portrayal of "Tarzan" in a Spanish-language film in the late 1960's and his Florida compound that has housed more than 100 exotic cats.

If you know me at all, you can only imagine how I rolled my eyes at the man's fascination and adoration for these overgrown felines. And please understand that I certainly appreciate their display of God's creativity. I can accept and admire them in their natural habitat and would never wish them harm for the recreation of humanity.

But I was quite disturbed to view this documentary of a man who has devoted his life to collecting and pampering large, dangerous cats. He sleeps with them. He plays with them. He swims with them. He lives for them.

His life revolves around these animals. He celebrates their birthdays. He recruits volunteers to help feed them and maintain their cages. He sleeps with them. He shares his home with them. He includes them as members of his family. Every part of his life is devoted to the welfare and protection of these cats.

At the surface of my disdain is my general dislike for cats and preference for people over any animal. These dispositions would make the story hardly palatable on their own. But then I heard the catch. Steve Sipek explained why he was devoting his life to these animals, and I suddenly realized the true foundation for why such devotion is so unsettling.

More than 40 years ago, Sipek was rescued from a burning building by a tiger. From that day on, he has devoted his life to the care and well-being of tigers, lions and their feline relatives.

When I heard his motive, his reasoning, I softened for a moment. Something immediately resonated with me. But when I realized what chord had been struck, my heart broke for the twisted reality the present world so readily adopts.

I believe we were created to respond to salvation the same way that Steve Sipek has. I believe his response, his feelings of joyful, willful indebtedness, are hardwired in us by our Creator. However, there is only one Savior who merits our total devotion, and when we miss who He is and what He has done, we devote ourselves to the wrong things.

Do Sipek's cats know why he loves them? Is he perpetuating life because of the time he invests in expressing gratitude to these animals? Unfortunately, the answer to both questions is "no." And I cannot imagine the heartache and the fury of Almighty God, who created both man and cat. He who did not merely risk His life, but who sacrificed His life, looks down on the earth and sees the ones He loves lauding false saviors.

Jesus Christ loves Steve Sipek. He gave up His life for Steve Sipek. He loves me. He gave up His life for me. He created us perfectly to respond to this fact, but if we cannot see Him, we attach ourselves to lesser lovers.

Relationships like Sipek's which involve humans' attraction to deadly animals is often termed "fatal attraction." Is it not the same when we truly see Jesus Christ? No matter how risky, no matter the cost, no matter the opinions of others, Steve Sipek is living for his cats. The sad reality is that his love may one day cost him his life.

The glorious reality of life with Christ is that it most definitely requires the death of self. If my life is to be devoted to God, set apart for His love and service, Katie dies daily. But the Lord, my Reward, is worth the certainty of self-death. In the light of true love, I am not concerned with the cost so long as gratitude is my motivation. When I see Jesus, I know His Life will cost me everything; I will lose it all. But in exchange I receive so much more than I ever could have relinquished.

I pray that I will someday shower my Lord with the affection Steve Sipek has for his cats. That my life will move ever closer to reckless abandon, reckless love, uncalculated response to the saving love of Jesus Christ.

More today than yesterday. More tomorrow than today.

No comments: