Thursday, March 18, 2010

nearly two decades later

Last week I got tired of all the music on The Fish (or more accurately, I got tired of all their commercials), so I fished around in the random CD collection that usually rides dormant in my car. Before long I was rocking out to 4Him's 1996 release, "The Message", and reminiscing about all the dances and memories attached to every single word on the album that I still know by heart.

The style of the music certainly betrays the fact that it was written 1.5 decades ago, but I was struck by the truth that is still so true in the lyrics.




I am so grateful to stand on Truth that never changes. But as I rejoiced in this fact, I realized just how influential these songs were as I learned them. I self-imposed a rule against secular music until high school, or maybe even college, but I never could have known exactly how that would shape who I am today.

Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, N*SYNC, whoever else, never really held that much appeal to me. My best friend, Mary Grace, recorded some songs off the radio onto a cassette tape for my 12 1/2 birthday; I enjoyed the half-song versions she was able to capture of "Bye Bye Bye," "Life After Love," and "God Must Have Spent a Little More Time On You." But I always reverted back to 4Him, Point of Grace and Phillips, Craig and Dean for my mirror concerts and ballet choreography. I cannot explain it, but the Christian music was what I liked, what I thrived on. It never made me popular, but I was not terribly concerned with that anyway.

As I have been thinking back on those years in the last few weeks through the lens of these lyrics, I am astounded to realize what a profound affect they had on my emotional and spiritual development. Even in this last week I have been encouraged to wake up with lyrics of truth fresh on my mind. Nevermind that their styles are beyond outdated, the message resounds and gives expression to my heart's cry. And I am finding that these songs were a critical ingredient in my formation through adolescence: protecting me, guiding me, molding me, focusing me. On the eternal, on the Word, on my King.

For instance, what pre-middle school girl does not need to internalize this truth:






Or how is this for the prayer of a middle schooler:


Chip away what tries to hide the truth
Until there is a remarkable

"Face the Nation" was another clarifying tune for me. Wow. So many good ones.

And of course I have to mention a few specifics from Point of Grace:



Or very memorable:

When He weighs the works that
I have done
Against the words that I have
Failed to speak
What's He gonna say about me
When the chaff is sifted from the wheat
Will there be evidence that I believed

Wow, I could go on and on. Phillips, Craig & Dean:


And a few years later, just as much gratitude for ZoeGirl and Plus One.

A word for any parents who may come across this post, please take it to heart that what your child is listening to right now may very well still shape their soul in 15 years. And that is a scary thought with all of the options they have in the secular world.

Thank you, Lord, for Truth and for hearts that respond to music. Thank you for Your servants who so faithfully make Truth catchy, not for their popularity, but so that Your bride may internalize Your love, refined by the repetition of songs that reveal who You are, led in deeper blamelessness to Your throne and to the wedding feast of the Lamb.

No comments: