Monday, March 15, 2010

sweeping

The average 20-month-old has an attention span of approximately 3.5 minutes. What I wouldn't give to be able to entertain Liam with one activity for longer than that! Eating holds his interest a considerable while longer, but as soon as his tummy is full he moves on to satiating his hair and wearing his plate as a hat. When that is old, he drops everything on the floor with an "uh oh!" to hide his intentionality.

Today, however, I recognized one activity that grasped his attention unlike any I have ever seen.

We were only at the park for a few minutes because the wind was much cooler than I had anticipated, but we were there long enough for Liam to watch an older boy jump off of the high play set several times. Liam looked on with wonder and I nervously followed him up the stairs after reading the open book his little mind displays. I could tell he was thinking, pondering, admiring, contemplating his own attempt. I am grateful he opted for the slide instead (and the smaller one at that). But the wheels in my own head began to turn in fascination at his desire to emulate. He is a copycat. It just comes naturally.

When we got back home I pulled out a broom and dust pan to clean up from his previous time in the sand box. Of course he was instantly fascinated by the things I really needed to use, but he watched in wonder as I swept the sand into a pile and then into the pan. As soon as I finished my task I handed him the broom. He did not look to me or consider any other interest for more than 20 minutes. I was astonished. He was so happy to "sweep" that he literally did not care what I was doing for nearly half an hour.

In all of this I realize that we are wired for emulation. Just as we need no lessons in sin, we need no lessons in copying. No one has taught Liam to sin, and no one has taught him to mirror his observations. This comes naturally for him.

It comes naturally for me as well. I am always imitating someone else, whether consciously or subconsciously. I hope and pray that more and more my life parallels that of my Savior, the One whose image I desperately want to define my own.

"Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children." Ephesians 5:1

"Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith." Hebrews 13:7

"Beloved, do not imitate evil but imitate good. Whoever does good is from God; whoever does evil has not seen God." 3 John 11

"Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1

"And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you received the word in much affliction, with the joy of the Holy Spirit, so that you became an example to all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia." 1 Thessalonians 1:6-7

No comments: